Thursday, September 8, 2011

I only needed to make someone eat.

 NOTE: the spell check wasn't working, and I'm to lazy to proofread, so you are going to have to ignore the horrible spelling.
What broke my day: Missing the one thing you have been looking forward to all week. My favorite class , English (even though the reading is ridiculously hard), my only break during the week from hard-core science, was discussing my absolute favorite peice of literature. Not my favorite book, because that is different. We are reading Faust, and I absolutely love this peice of work. In fact it's the only reason I didn't drop the class after seeing the book list. Today we were supposed to discuss it in class, and I was embarassingly excited....except I didn't attend class, and we even had a quiz. fml. The class starts at 9, and I woke up promptly at 9:08 and my heart crashed into my stomach with the force of a 2000 ton elephant being dropped from 100 stories into a vat of feral cats and trashcans. Okay, I'm being dramatic, but it totally made me mad. I've never accidently slept through a class, and the one time I do, it would be the day I actually wanted to go to class. The fact that there was a quiz makes it all the more worse, because now I have to freak out about my grades. I feel horrible, and it makes me want to cry. Now how am I supposed to have a good week when the one thing that was supposed to happen didn's? frustration.
What made my day: Well, not a whole lot made my day today,  but one bright burst of goodness did make my day. Backstory: I work at a preschool, and there is a little boy, Arab, who doesn't talk, doesn't eat lunch, doesn't go to the bathroom....and whenever you talk to him he just closes his eyes and looks away. We have been struggling with him for three weeks to get him to eat his lunch, at the table. And today, out of the blue, he sat down at his seat and ate lunch. We even took a picture to prove it. The fact that this little instance happened, and that our long, drawn out struggle was finally over (at least for the day) made me smile in bewilderment. What had been so different than every other day? We have no idea what the difference between today and every other day was, other than the fact that we didn't set up his stuff by everyone else. he was kind of in the corner of a table, with no one around him. Arab seems to be extremely introverted, and it may be that he just prefers to eat alone, however depressing that may seem. But the fact that we finally succeeded in beating this childs battle against food makes me feel like a conquerer! I am teacher, see me win! Oh, and I made him laugh today. That's right, I made the statue child smile.  Bring it on Buckingham palace guards. Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment