Thursday, September 15, 2011

Being a Sick Hero

What broke my day: Being sick. Last night I started to feel a sore throat coming on...uh-oh. This morning I woke up to my throat throbbing, body slick with sweat and full of goosebumps from being chilled. I sense it's strep throat. No, I haven't gotten tested...yet, but I get strep so much that I can tell whether or not it is just a sore throat, or something worse. I hate that I am so tired that I feel like I can't do anything. I hate that this makes me lack in motivation so that I don't wear makeup, want to shower, or do any homework. Unfortunately, living the crazy life of a college student (which I'm thinking about making an entire post about my crazy busy life) I don't get to stay curled up in bed. I have deadlines to make, work to do, classes that I can't miss because the only excused absences involves death, and a blog to write. This does not help my getting better. I take a vitamin every day (so what if they are super her0 gummy vitamins?), and I don't go kissing rando's, so getting sick has been a rarity the past couple of years. But now, between the crazy sleep schedule, and not having time to even rest, my body has revolted and now I am stuck trying to maintain the schedule, while wanting to just take a nap. Being sick sucks, being a sick college student...sucks even more.
What made my day: Being the hero. I love my job, even though it's ridiculously time-consuming and every once in a while some kid will tell me "Miss Beth, you don't have any friends, and I like Mr. Matt better. He's more fun." But then you get the days where Mohammad, the naughtiest kid in class tells you he has a secret, and then whispers in your ear, "You're beautiful." Funny how it means more to me when a 5-year old tells me that, when a grown male, college student does. Today though, I got to play the role of the hero, and finally figured out how my college job correlates with my future job of being a doctor. Today, Aimen, while playing at recess, tripped and fell on the cement. None of my colleagues (the head teachers were inside) knew how to make her feel better. She wasn't super-scraped up, but she had skinned her elbow and knee, and it needed to be cleaned and covered. So, I took her inside, sat her in a chair, and cleaned her up. I wiped the tears from her eyes, and was truthful to her. When she asked if washing it would hurt, I told her the truth. It will hurt for a little bit, but it will make it feel better as soon as it's done. She smiled. My heart warmed. After some antibiotic ointment, 8 snoopy band-aids, and 3 stickers she was ready to go outside and start again. But what really made my being the hero for the day special, was when her mom came to pick her up, and she told her mom, that I had made her better. I was proud that I made her feel better, and it made me want to be a doctor that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment